When Moloney Architects set about expanding and remodeling this 1863 church parsonage residence in Daylesford, Australia, the site constraints were two-fold. To start, the home resides in Daylesford’s central church precinct, and local restrictions prevented any new design from disturbing views of surrounding church buildings. Additionally, the home had a south-facing backyard—which meant a standard rear addition would not be as light and bright as the homeowners desired.
The firm’s solution to these site challenges was to compose three main components: a parsonage, a pavilion, and a gallery. The main house, or parsonage, was kept, and now hosts three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and in the former living spaces, a study and a partially enclosed dining terrace.
At the rear of the lot, the firm installed a low-lying, white brick pavilion that faces back to the house. Full-height black steel windows capture much-needed sun, and the new volume forms a courtyard in between the buildings. The pavilion holds the main living spaces, a painting studio, and a sun deck.
A hallway with panels of floor-to-ceiling glass—the gallery—connects the two buildings. In this space, a hanging track and concrete plinth let the circulation corridor double as an art gallery for the homeowners.
Upon removing the ’90s remodel at the back corner of the original home, the architects discovered an opportunity to fashion a partially enclosed dining terrace for when the weather is too cool to sit outside.
“Previously, this part of the house was a 1990s laundry, powder room, bathroom, and higgledy-piggledy hallway. When we removed the 1990s interventions into the original building, we saw that the previous renovation work had created two large holes in the original structure,” says architect Mick Moloney.
“Rather than patch these up, we’ve left them as marks of the last renovation to try to celebrate all eras in the building’s history. The openings have a practical use, as well—they allow the corner of the old house to open up to the light and connect to the landscape.”